Re: SQL Tuning

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 09:10:50 -0700

  • wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 13:22:41 -0700, Daniel Morgan
> <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote:
>
> >> Yes, thank you for your reply but now it almost becomes as difficult
> >> as making the CBO jumping hoops. :>. This will be my next of questions
> >> for anybody who responds.
> >
> >Glad to help but I don't understand your question about the CBO.
>
> I was just saying that making the CBO do what your want is very
> difficult. Sometimes the CBO seems to have a mind of it's own but not
> a very smart one. Also sometimes thing just become too compilate
> because you have to take too much factors into consideration to be
> cost effective. The quest for inteligent life in the CBO is one of
> those things I like to avoid because I think it would not be cost
> effective as it would take a lot of time.
>
> >BTW you can use EXPLAIN PLAN to compare statements. You just use separate
> >statement ids when you run them.
> >The same thing the GUI tool does.
>
> Thank you for the tip. I will take it into consideration.

[Quoted] I couldn't agree less.

[Quoted] [Quoted] The CBO's decisions are intelligent and if you learn how it works, and use hints, blows away the performance of the RBO.

Those that don't learn new things ... there is a word for them ... unemployable. I'd suggest following Sybrand's advice.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu