Re: help needed - migration of Forms 3.0 to Forms 6.0

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:09:38 GMT

shery mathew was kind enough to write:
> Hi,
>
> I have some queries regarding migration of Forms 3.0 to Forms 6.0..I
> am sure some one out there will be able to help me out..
>
> 1. Can Forms 3 and 6 application communicate with each other ? e.g. if
> Forms A is in 3 and Forms B is in 6, and they talk to each other - can
> Forms
> A pass arguments to Forms B and vice versa?

Do you mean can A do a call_form (or new_form) to B? I have never tried this, but I suspect it won't work since the form is not an executable program in itself. You run a form by passing its name to the 'runform' executable ... so it's more like working with an interpreter. Whichever runform you start with (parent) will probably not understand the contents of the form that you call (child).

> 2. Forms 3 application has SQLMENU; In Forms 6, it will be replaced
> with Forms application for each menu. How do we ensure that a user has
> the
> same entry and exit point if part of the application is in Forms 3 and
> parts
> in Forms 6 ?

I think you'll have to pretty much recode your forms. Forms 3 was a character mode UI that, even with the best converters, didn't translate well into the GUI world. Where I worked, we used a converter to go from 3 to 4.5 ... and ended up reworking 1/3 to 1/2 of each form to "clean up" the result of the translation.

This shouldn't necessarily be taken as a negative thing. You've undoubtedly learned a lot about your app over the years since Forms 3 was "current" technology. Think of it as an opportunity to implement all those lessons learned and redesign your app the way you would have if you knew then what you know now. That's the plus side of hindsight.

--
:%s/Karsten Farrell/Oracle DBA/g