Re: SQL Tuning

From: <->
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:58:41 GMT

[Quoted] On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 16:49:00 -0700, Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote:

>Nothing tunes Oracle as well as a competent DBA or developer with EXPLAIN
>PLAN, TKPROF, and DBMS_PROFILER.

I agree.

>There is nothing these tools do that can't be done in SQL*Plus except
>empty your bank account.

Yes, still I do like the easy of these product that allow you to test for instance 5 sql statements at the same time and then compare the results next to each other. Try doing that with explain plan, tkprof and dbms_profiler. Perhaps there is a freeware tool with similair functionality.

>Invest your money in education.

Yes, well this software will make it more easy to learn SQL tuning also.

>That said ... add BMC to your list then download the free copies of these
>products and work with them yourself if you really want a GUI. Each has
>its strengths and its weaknesses. Weigh any responses from others against
>the following that you didn't ask:
>
>1. Which of the products have you actually used yourself?
>2. On what size system did you use it? number of objects, number of GB or
>TB, number of users?
>3. Which version did you use?
>4. How long ago?
>5. How extensively did you use it?
>6. Do you know it well enough to train someone else on its use?
>
>If someone hasn't used all of them, in the current version, for at least 3
>months their opinion will be worth less than yours. And what tunes 10MB
>will not necessary tune 2TB.

Yes, thank you for your reply but now it almost becomes as difficult as making the CBO jumping hoops. :>. This will be my next of questions for anybody who responds. Received on Mon Jun 30 2003 - 19:58:41 CEST

Original text of this message