Re: Data warehouse

From: TurkBear <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:35:44 -0500

[Quoted] Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote:

>Daniela Giovenzana wrote:
>
>> We need to install a data warehouse on a windows server.
>> The packages we have to buy are:
>>
>> Database: Oracle 9.0.1.2 or next Enterprise Edition.
>> Application Server: Oracle9iAS 1.0.2.2 or next.
>> Oracle Enterprise Manager: OEM 9.0.1.
>> Oracle Workflow: Oracle Workflow server: 2.6.1/2.6.2 (2.6.2 is better) and
>> Workflow client: 2.6.1
>> Warehouse Builder: Release 9.03
>>
>> Is it correct?
>
>No.
>
>The minimum Oracle version you should be using is 9.2.0.1, preferably 9.2.0.3
>
>9iAS and the others may be useful for building a front-end or as tools for the
>back-end but
>serve no purpose specifically related to the creation of a data warehouse.
Just my 2c:
[Quoted] Of course, all you really Need from Oracle for a data warehouse is the RDBMS ( and Client for SqlNet, maybe) [Quoted] All the other things you mentioned ( AS excluded, since it is not related to a warehouse) may be good from Oracle but there [Quoted] may be better tools to do those tasks from the many 3rd party suppliers out there.. [Quoted] ( I have found that, while much better than they used to be, Oracle is a great company for its RDBMS and not so great for [Quoted] its tools....)