Re: intro to tuning?

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 26 Jun 2003 10:13:43 -0700

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:<3efaa82a$0$18486$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net>...
> I know you asked for a web resource but Oracle Tuning 101 is an excellent
> book source. You could always read the tuning guide from the docs as well.
> "Petee" <dkj> wrote in message news:vfkbupkhi25md1_at_corp.supernews.com...
> > I'm looking for a good web source for learning about tuning Oracle SQL
> > statements.
> > Any suggestions?
> > Thanks

tuning 101 is a great book but it doesnt focus on sql.

Guy harrisons Sql Tuning book is all sql. However, he states that in some cases using a cursor and then updating off the cursor can be faster than doing an update with exists...

dont know if that is correct. I ran that every which way and how with all types of table combinations and size, etc...

it was ALWAYS slower. and alot slower. Everything else seems accurate as far as I can tell, but Im not a tuning expert. Received on Thu Jun 26 2003 - 19:13:43 CEST

Original text of this message