Re: RDBMS : Do we still live in 20th century?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 04:16:18 GMT

Jerry Gitomer wrote:

> Why should the major database vendors duplicate the
> functionality of Erwin?

Because it's pretty. And it's visible. Therefore the sales and marketing guys can point to it and say "look at the wonderful things we're doing". And thus the customer's attention can be diverted away from reliable, efficient and effective (and definitely away from license agreements). With little effort it makes great ad-ware copy that can be copied to the inside cover of every magazine in North America.

There's at least one 'database' vendor that definitely needs this kind of advantage. (Hint - it's not Oracle <g>)

Cynically,
/Hans Received on Thu Jun 26 2003 - 06:16:18 CEST

Original text of this message