Re: Interesting info about Oracle

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: 25 Jun 2003 18:57:33 +1000

 Keith> I don't mean this as a flame but.. I am really worried about
 Keith> dancing with the devil (oracle). Also my rectum is sacred and
 Keith> is a one-way street. Last thing I want is to end up shelling
 Keith> out thousands because of some new Oracle "tactic." It appears
 Keith> that you can't get any objective decission making opinions
 Keith> from this brain-washed Oracle crowd. It feels like you are not
 Keith> preaching to the choir here but preaching to the alter-boys
 Keith> who like to take it in rear (oracle-DBAs). Come on people, get
 Keith> objective about spending your company's or tax-payer's money.

 Keith> I am really considering PostGreSQL. It is mature, stable and
 Keith> has many enterprise features including replication. Besides,
 Keith> not having any string attached leaves you calm. It is heavily
 Keith> used in mission critical implementations. The .ORG name  Keith> service run on PostGreSQL.

Well Kieth, for someone who isn't trying to flame, your certainly using some flame baiting language!

As to your original post - I read the article and as someone else pointed out, it is a sad reflection of the competence of many of the managers and decision makers in government departments. Any manager/decision maker worth their salt should be able to isolate the sales hype and pressure tactics of vendors from the real requirements/expectations of their company/department. This is not unique to Oracle or even IT. Any salesman is going to try and sell you as much as possible - selling the product and obtaining the best revenue possible is what they are trying to do - its what will ensure their employment and possibly promotion - its their job.

Complaining that Oracle sold you too many licences is rediculous. I can't believe anyone would enter into sales negotiations without knowing what their needs/requirements were and rely on the sales person to identify what they need. Think about it. Would you go into a car yard and say "I want a car" and when the salesman asks you what sort of car you reply "I don't know - what do you think I should get?" You certainly would have nobody to blame but yourself when you arrive home in your $500,000 sports car and realise that you can't fit the kiddies seat in the back and that there was not enough room for the shopping. To later realise you could have got what you needed with a second hand sedan and then blame the salesperson for ripping you off is a clear indication you are an idiot who has an inability to take responsibility for your decisions.

With respect to your original troll baiting question on whether Oracle is for you or not - well obviously we can't answer that. You have provided absolutely no information on what your requirements are, what your budget is or anything else.

Just own up and admit you don't actually have any requirements and its just a bullshit question posed as an excuse to post an out of date article which highlights how incompetant many managers and decision makers really are.

If you really must have an answer - Yes Oracle is definatly for you - make sure you tell the sales person you need a minimum of 1100 million site licences for a clustered and distributed database application utilizing the state of the art Oracle technology on servers with the maximum number of processors available and that the budget is no problem. At least then there will be one person on the planet who will tell you your an astute genius who is destined for great things.

Tim

--
Tim Cross