Re: Designer on Linux?

From: Mark Rittman <markrittman_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:30:02 +0100

Hi Michael

[Quoted] Although when you download 9idsr2 for Linux you get the impression that it includes all the Windows 9ids tools, in fact it's missing Discoverer Admin, Reports Builder, Warehouse Builder and Designer. Warehouse Builder is available separately for Linux and will be bundled with the next version.

The reason Designer et al aren't available for Linux is that, unlike all the other Oracle tools, they're not written in Java (they're Windows native). Chances are these'll never be ported to java/Linux in their current form; there is a rumour that Oracle development in the UK are working on a Java version of Discoverer Admin but I've heard nothing definate.

I raised this on OTN at the time
http://www.oracle.com/forums/thread.jsp?forum=135&thread=58277&message=58277&q=#58277 but there didn't seem to be much interest in running these tools under Linux. I also asked whether anyone had run them using WINE http://www.oracle.com/forums/thread.jsp?forum=135&thread=58276&message=58276&q=#58276 but again not much happened.

I think in all honesty we're going to have to stick with Windows as a desktop for Oracle work for the foreseeable future, unfortunately.

hope this helps

Mark
mark_at_rittman.org
[Quoted] www.rittman.net