Re: Oracle Forms VS Java

From: nimonic <nimonic_at_excite.com>
Date: 8 Jun 2003 17:22:11 -0700

> That is too bad. JDeveloper (the developer environment that is) is
> apparently a java application. I have found it tedious to use. On a giga
> hz machine I can type faster (in small spurts) than it seems able to
> handle and the application goes wonky (i.e. hangs, or goes away for a
> while). Also, it does not appear to handle such minor details, on windows,
> as acting like a normal windows application, so for example, you can not
> double click the left close box on a window to make the window close (a
> small detail, but one that became built into my psyche since about fifteen
> years ago on macintosh, and atari, and then on windows for many years).
> Perhaps there is an option somewhere, but its quirks seem more related to
> being java based more than anything else, same issues with keyboard short
> cuts... )
>

> It is useful to ask it to set up a project to see what options or
> libraries it chooses, but then it's best to use anything else and compile
> directly.
>
> Oracle forms, (the developer environment that is) though not my favourite
> development environment, is a perfectly respectable tool. It performed
> almost all normal operations as fast as it ever needed to on a much slower
> PC, and was generaly a useful tool for almost all stages of form
> development.

Welcome to the world of Java. Regardless of what anyone says the reality is that Java is very resource hungry and slow. We have 9iAS running with 1.2G of ram and Oracle support have told us that we should get more. I have no doubt the reason why it's so inefficient is because of all the Java running in it.

I've seen all the laboratory bench marks that show Java just as fast (and sometimes even faster) than C/C++. But as the English say, "The proof is in the pudding". Received on Mon Jun 09 2003 - 02:22:11 CEST

Original text of this message