Re: How to build a report using a stored procedure

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 09:24:47 -0700

Abraham wrote:

> Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<193qdv8t4d3lelh6v8kq27hdrvkarb1tjm_at_4ax.com>...
> > On 3 Jun 2003 12:34:18 -0700, wsp63002_at_yahoo.com (Abraham) wrote:
> >
> > >How do you begin/create a new report off a stored procedure? I am so
> > >new to this that I just intalled the developer suite (9i) today and
> > >was asked to build a report already...we now use actuate.
> > >
> > >Any help would be great (I've been reading a lot from OTN, but not
> > >seeing anything concrete on procedures...just pl/sql).
> > >
> > >Regards,
> > >
> > >-abe
> >

> > Look up REF CURSOR in your manual and/or hire a consultant.
> > Do not expect the group is going to do your work for you for free
> >
> > And, BTW: Developer comes with documentation. Please read it,
> > preferably before asking questions.
> >

> > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
> >
> > To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address
>
> On one hand, thank you for your response. On the other - why do you
> have to come across as being condescending? I did not ask you or this
> group to do my work...I asked for informatin on how to 'begin'. Those
> are not very nice comments for someone who is trying to learn. Thank
> you for making me feel like crap and for reminding me of what kind of
> human being I desire not to be.

Seriously ... you are not going to build any reports using Developer Suite based on a quick paragraph or two posted in a usenet group. If you look at what you have installed you will find a tutorial and there is a ton of documentation at http://otn.oracle.com. My recommendation would be long term to take a class and short term, as Sybrand suggests, that you hire a consultant. If management thinks they can hand this tool to a novice and get reports on demand you should polish up your resume and get out before you are replaced: Their expectations are unreasonable.

BTW: A REF CURSOR is not the solution with Oracle Reports though Sybrand would be correct with most other tools.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu