Deploying Oracle Discoverer 4i via Active Directory?

From: P <notonyourlife_at_noway.com.au>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 15:30:04 +0800

Hi there

I am at a site that is all win2k and active directory based. The HR department need to use Oracle Discoverer 4i. The problem is that workstation permissions are strict. The users are not members of the "power users" group on their workstations and therefore when they go to the URL that loads/runs discoverer, it barfs.

This of course is expected behaviour and the same thing happens with any ActiveX control. Microsoft sum it up exactly for ActiveX and Java at:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;273855 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;240897

Now my client have dictated that giving the users "power user" rights is not an option as it means they can install a lot more stuff (including any activex control). Fair enough - Microsoft then have an article that discusses how to deploy an activex control via Active Directory

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;280579 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;241163

Now Q280579 says that you have to turn the control into an MSI file via Visual Installer. I quote..

"1. Add the control to the Visual Installer package. To do this, click Add Files on the Project menu, and add your compiled control file to the project.
2. Determine the CLSID. To do this, either use the OLE View tool that ships with Microsoft Visual Studio, or look it up in the registry."

Now the above is fine with a standard ActiveX control, but Oracle discoverer is a java wrapped up in a special ActiveX control by the looks. I cannot find a CLSID.

So does anybody know whether anybody has managed to produce an MSI file for oracle Discoverer or can confirm if its possible to deploy Oracle discovery via Active Directory? Is it possible to manually install the app from the CAB file? Internet explorer can obviously do it..

thanks in advance

P Received on Sat May 31 2003 - 09:30:04 CEST

Original text of this message