Re: Oracle Forms VS Java

From: David Segall <david_at_segall.net>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 15:29:34 GMT

Posted and emailed:
Daniel Frechette <daniel_at_multipro.ca> wrote:

>Good day,
>
>I'm currently working on a project to modify an existing system that was
>developed in Oracle Forms 4.5 (Web-enabled) and Java (J2EE, JRun, Oracle
>DB). I now have a new application to develop but I don't know if it should
>be done in Forms or Java. The new application has to be light and
>accessible through a Web browser. I'm trying to assess the pros and cons of
>both approaches but I know very little about Forms. Can anyone tell me what
>are the TRUE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES of Oracle Forms? Does anyone know
>of any studies or architecture comparisons that might be helpful?
>
>Thank you,
>Daniel
My knowledge of both Java and Oracle is almost zero which is why I bought the "Oracle9i JDeveloper Handbook" published by Oracle Press. The section entitled JDeveloper: Past, Present, and Future says that Oracle has "seemingly decided to pursue JDeveloper as the primary development platform". I take this as meaning that Java is the preferred language. JDeveloper provides a GUI design interface which allows you to drag and drop Swing components onto a "form" and to associate them with a database using Business Components for Java (BC4J). You can read the relevant section of the book yourself at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0072223847/ref=lib_rd_ss_TT02/102-4431108-3813734?v=glance&s=books&vi=reader&img=32#reader-link Received on Sat May 31 2003 - 17:29:34 CEST

Original text of this message