Re: SQL*Loader Question - please

From: Andre Norman <andre.norman_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 22:24:35 -0400

Thanks for the tip Scott but I've been over the documentation several times. Unfortunately, With all DATATYPES, I get either an invalid number or the error i mentioned earlier with the exception of FLOAT. In this case I get the following warning.
SQL*Loader-307: Warning: conflicting lengths 16 and 4 specified for column AMOUNT_BALANCE table TEST.TABLE1
And when I query the column, every row contained the same value. The wrong one at that!!!!

The question remains unanswered. Surely someone has tried to load these types of values into a number field using sqlldr with the direct=true option....anyone???

Perhaps there is a way to use FLOAT but how do I change the 4 in the warning above?

Regards,
Andre

"Scott Mattes" <Scott_at_TheMattesFamily.ws> wrote in message news:MjxBa.1285$cp6.979583_at_news1.news.adelphia.net...
> You chose the packed decimal, you need to use external decimal.
>
> Here is from the manual at tahiti.oracle.com (note the words below "These
> datatypes are the human-readable, character form of numeric data")
>
> Numeric EXTERNAL
> The numeric EXTERNAL datatypes are the numeric datatypes (INTEGER, FLOAT,
> DECIMAL, and ZONED) specified with the EXTERNAL keyword, with optional
> length and delimiter specifications.
>
> These datatypes are the human-readable, character form of numeric data.
> Numeric EXTERNAL may be specified with lengths and delimiters, just like
> CHAR data. Length is optional, but if specified, overrides position.
>
> The syntax for the numeric EXTERNAL datatypes is shown as part of
> datatype_spec.
>
> Note: The data is a number in character form, not binary representation.
> Therefore, these datatypes are identical to CHAR and are treated
> identically, except for the use of DEFAULTIF. If you want the default to
be
> null, use CHAR; if you want it to be zero, use EXTERNAL. See also Setting
> Column to Null or Zero and DEFAULTIF Clause.
>
> FLOAT EXTERNAL data can be given in either scientific or regular notation.
> Both "5.33" and "533E-2" are valid representations of the same value.
>

> "Andre Norman" <andre.norman_at_sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > Hi ,
> > Im trying to use SQL*Loader's direct load method to load several million
> > records into my oracle table.
> >
> > My datafile contains numeric values such as the following:
> >
> > +000000000376.04
> > -000000000154.70
> >
> > The following entry is in my ctl file,
> >
> > AMOUNT_BALANCE POSITION(133:148) DECIMAL (14,2)
> >
> > , which according to the documentation, should work.
> > but this is what I get:
> >
> > ORA-02357: Packed Decimal conversion error
> > ORA-07409: slpdtb: invalid packed decimal nibble.
> > Record 99975: Rejected - Error on table TEST.TABLE1, column
AMOUNT_BALANCE