Re: SQL*Loader Question - please

From: Scott Mattes <Scott_at_TheMattesFamily.ws>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 00:10:20 GMT

[Quoted] You chose the packed decimal, you need to use external decimal.

Here is from the manual at tahiti.oracle.com (note the words below "These datatypes are the human-readable, character form of numeric data")

Numeric EXTERNAL
The numeric EXTERNAL datatypes are the numeric datatypes (INTEGER, FLOAT, DECIMAL, and ZONED) specified with the EXTERNAL keyword, with optional length and delimiter specifications.

These datatypes are the human-readable, character form of numeric data. Numeric EXTERNAL may be specified with lengths and delimiters, just like CHAR data. Length is optional, but if specified, overrides position.

The syntax for the numeric EXTERNAL datatypes is shown as part of datatype_spec.

  Note: The data is a number in character form, not binary representation. Therefore, these datatypes are identical to CHAR and are treated identically, except for the use of DEFAULTIF. If you want the default to be [Quoted] null, use CHAR; if you want it to be zero, use EXTERNAL. See also Setting a [Quoted] Column to Null or Zero and DEFAULTIF Clause.

FLOAT EXTERNAL data can be given in either scientific or regular notation. Both "5.33" and "533E-2" are valid representations of the same value.