Mixing Oracle Pro*COBOL precompiler versions on Oracle 9i

From: Neil Rumbold <n_r_rolat_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: 27 May 2003 14:16:38 -0700

Hi all

Hopefully I have the correct group for this query - please redirect me if I don't...

I have a problem. I am working with a client on plans to migrate a sizeable COBOL (Micro Focus) based application to from Oracle 6
(actually Oracle 7 with DBMS=v6 in effect) to Oracle 9i and we have
hit a snag and I am seeking some input from anyone that may be able to assist.

First some background:
We are well aware of the documented (and some undocumented) problems with the migration and due to time constraints are planning to migrate the various programs that make up the application suite incrementally. By this I mean we plan to use the Pro*COBOL 1.8 precompiler provided with Oracle 9i for an initial quick-and-dirty upgrade to get into the 9i environment. Subsequently, as time and opportunity permits, all 500+ application program parts will be upgraded one at a time to be fully Oracle 9i compliant and use the Pro*COBOL 9.x precompiler; with a target of completion roughly 6 months from now. During this time the application as a whole will be undergoing constant revision and extension.

This is where we hit our snag -- A small subset of files, roughly 25, contain core business logic and are called as sub-programs in the application (via CALL). Under a strict environment these would all be migrated to the 9.x precompiler along with all programs that call them, as a job lot. Regrettably this dependency set numbers around 200 members and as the application will be live in both the production and development sense, these can not all be frozen for the duration.

We have a provisional and unproven plan to address this complication and would appreciate any feedback, positive or negative, from anyone that has attempted anything similar:-

Our plan is to build a set of libraries from the core logic (possibly as dynamically linked libraries or otherwise) using one version of the precompiler and build the modules that depend on the core logic under the other version. Our initial plan is to migrate the core logic (the libraries) first and the calling programs later; IE: so v1.8 precompiled modules are calling v9.x precompiled modules. Working the opposite way around (v9.x precomp calling v1.8 precomp) is also an option if necessary. This should limit the size of the initial migration set surrounding the core business logic and the remaining v1.8 precompiled components would be migrated at a later date.

Can anyone comment on the viability of this approach?

I would be particularly interested to hear from anyone that has tried something like this in the past. Preferably someone that has made this or a similar scenario work!

Please feel free to use any applicable technical terms - COBOL may not be my primary programming language, but I will be able to understand anything that isn't pure carp :^)

(Gimme Pro*C/C++ any day!)

The system in question uses:
Oracle 9i (latest patch level)
Micro Focus Server Express (latest patch level, 2.x?) Sun Solaris 8 (latest patch level)

A beer or preferred tipple for anyone that can provide qualified feedback, assuming I ever happen by their locality!

Regards

Neil Rumbold

( n_r_rolat_at_yahoo.co.uk )

Attn Spammers:
Permission is denied for the use of the email address n_r_rolat_at_yahoo.co.uk for registration on web sites, or mailing lists or in relation to any product or service not legally available within the United Kingdom; in particular any mechanical device or chemical, herbal or pharmaceutical product reported to enhance the size, shape, function, colour, disposition, performance or ownership of the wedding tackle; it works just fine as it is, thanks. Received on Tue May 27 2003 - 23:16:38 CEST

Original text of this message