Re: Oracle Designer VS ERWin --- Comments

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 00:33:40 GMT

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> Oracle *IS* moving away from Designer. It will be desupported in 2005.
> The explanation for this seems to be Designer is developed in the UK,
> the UK never wanted to transfer the product to the US, so currently
> it's only popular in the UK and the Netherlands.

I've searched metalink and Oracle's external web site and can not find a supporting Statement of Direction, white paper, or desupport notice. I'd really, really appreciate some documentation supporting this assertion ....

If I understand correctly, Oracle has gone to a major effort of putting the design knowledge base of their entire applications suite into Designer, so I'd find it difficult to comprehend that they would then abandon the product. (Corrections appreciated)

What notices I have found are:
- Oracle has an official desupport notice for Designer 6.0 effective Dec 31, 2004 - which correlates to your statement of desupport in 2005. This is not unexpected as they have Designer 6i and Designer 9i available. - They have also desupported Database Designer (a separate 'subset' product which chased the sDesignor and Erwin market) last year. - And Designer 9i has been released and does not figure in the metalink 'upcoming desupport notices' list. Received on Mon May 26 2003 - 02:33:40 CEST

Original text of this message