Installing Discoverer 4.1

From: Declan <declannestor_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 21 May 2003 08:47:20 -0700

Hello,

[Quoted] [Quoted] I am a complete novice to Oracle and Discoverer and I am having difficulties setting up Discoverer 4.1 on a Windows 2000 PC.

I have tried a couple of approaches.
1. I installed Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition for Windows NT and connected to the standard database through SQL Plus using the SYSTEM/MANAGER login. But when I tried to install Discoverer 4.1, I got the message:
"The location specified c:\oracle\ora81 is already used as an Oracle
home for 'Oracle 815 Production'. It cannot be used as an Oracle home for 'nt'".

I saw from this newsgroup that people had a similar problem in the past. I tried the suggestion of changing the home directory in regedit and went on to install Discoverer. But when I tried run SQL Plus, I got the error:
"Message file SP1<lang>.msb not found"

And when I try to run the Administration Edition of Discoverer, I get the error:
"Failed to Connect to database - ORA-12203: TNS: unable to connect to
destination"

2. On a different PC, I installed Discoverer 4.1 first and when I tried to install Oracle 8i, I got a similar message about the Oracle directory already being used.

Now before I go any further there are a couple of very basic questions, I would like to ask:

  1. WHEN YOU INSTALL DISCOVERER, DO YOU ALSO HAVE TO INSTALL ORACLE OR IS THERE A STANDARD DATABASE THAT COMES WITH THE INSTALLATION OF DISCOVERER 4.1? I tried connecting by running SQL Plus 8.0 (and through Discoverer Administration) and logging in as SYSTEM, but I get the error:
    "Failed to connect to database .........etc." again.
  2. CAN YOU INSTALL DISCOVERER 4.1 AND ORACLE 8i ENTERPRISE EDITION TOGETHER ON A WINDOWS 2000 PC? AND IF SO, HOW? i.e in which sequence, etc.

As I said, I'm a complete novice so I apologise for my naivety, but I don't know anyone who knows anything about Discoverer.

Declan. Received on Wed May 21 2003 - 17:47:20 CEST

Original text of this message