Re: SP2-0171: HELP not accessible.

From: Me <me_at_privacy.net>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 15:23:20 +0530

On Sat, 17 May 2003 22:21:14 +0200, Sybrand Bakker wrote:

:
:"Me" <me_at_privacy.net> wrote in message
:news:3j3dcv0cg7h7q8l0kgrgg2g1lj78l0e25l_at_4ax.com...
:> I have Oracle SQL*Plus 8.1.5.0.0 when I type help <enter>
:> I get the following message:
:> SP2-0171: HELP not accessible
:>
:> How can I make it accessible?
:>
:> Thanks a lot if you can help me with this.
:>
:
:Run the helpbld procedure in %ORACLE_HOME%\sqlplus\admin.
:It will contain sql***PLUS*** help only, the rest is online at
:http://tahiti.oracle.com
:
:8.1.5 has been desupported several years ago and should be considered buggy

Oracle 8.1.5 is used in college and we are expected to use it :(

"The SQL*Plus Help files are located in the <ORACLE_BASE>\<ORACLE_HOME>\SQLPLUS\ADMIN\HELP folder. The Help files include the following:

  • helptbl.sql creates the Help table
  • helpindx.sql creates an index on the Help table
  • plushelp.ctl SQL*Plus Help data for 8.1.3 }SQL*Loader

Installing the Help System:

You must complete the following steps in the order presented to properly install and load the SQL*Plus Help system.

  1. Connect as the user, SYSTEM.
  2. Run the SQL file, helptbl.sql.
  3. To load the Help data, run SQL*Loader for each of the following control files:
    • plushelp.ctl

    To load each control file, you can use the following     SQL*Loader command:

    sqlldr direct=true userid=system/<password> control=xxxx.ctl log=pluslog bad=badlog

    replace <password> with the appropriate password for the     user=SYSTEM and replace xxxx with the name of the control file as above.

    Wait for each control file to load before loading the next control file.

4. Connect as the user, SYSTEM, and run the SQL file, helpindx.sql.

Accessing SQL*Plus Help

To access the SQL*Plus Help index, enter the following command at the SQLPLUS prompt:

        HELP TOPIC If you know the topic for which you want Help, enter the following command at the SQLPLUS prompt:

        HELP <topic>

where <topic> represents a SQL*Plus help topic. For example, enter Help Column, for Help on the Column command.

If you get a response that Help is unavailable, verify that the prerequisites exist and that you have completed the above installation instructions in the proper order.

For more information about the Help command, refer to SQL*Plus Command Reference chapter in the SQL*Plus User's Guide and Reference.

END OF FILE"

[Quoted] Is this the file I must read to install the help?

I could not follow step 2 how do you run that file? I selected open from the file menu opened the helptbl.sql file and then entered /

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00900: invalid SQL statement

--
Thanks for help.
I hope this is not a very stupid question, but I am not able to figure