Re: For Daniel Morgan

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 8 May 2003 12:50:21 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3EB91453.9BD363A6_at_exxesolutions.com>...
> LouisD wrote:
>
> > <snipped>
> >

> > So what I really need advise on is how do I set up the puers so that the
> > computers on the network conect to the on edbase where the
> > tables/entities/attributes are located.
> >
> > You have helped me before for which a thousand thanks.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> On the client machine, go to the \net80\admin directory and insert an entry into
> tnsnames.ora that points to the server. It will just be the following for 8i.
>
> <database_alias> =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = <host_name>)(PORT = 1521))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SID = <sid_name>)
> )
> )
>
> The database_alias can be anything you want
> The host is the name or IP address of the server
> The sid name is the instance name you are connect to
>
> BTW: We do not have any lab at UW for students to use with Oracle. All students
> have their own copy of the database, etc. on their own machines which provides
> them with not only far more flexibility but far more experience. They get to
> install, configure, destroy, and have full SYS privileges to explore at a level
> impossible with a shared server.

[Quoted] When do they learn how to work within a team? That's often been a very time-consuming issue for me in groups larger than 1. And even single programmer environments, as the programmer changes over time (just yesterday I encountered a situation where one person out of several didn't understand the concept of layering, so interleaved his custom code with the vendors' base code - and a few days ago found the same thing from someone who should know better). But the larger the environment, the more critical it is. This is definitely too important to be left to MBA graduate classes or project management certs, it should be integral with any professional programming curricula (even creative art programming).

> I hope the above helps.

jg

--
[Quoted] _at_home.com is bogus.
"A hypothetical strangelet disaster could transform the entire planet