Re: Why my Temporary tablespace is always 99% full ?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 5 May 2003 13:20:38 -0700

"cpchan" <cpchaney_at_netvigator.com> wrote in message news:<b95qgu$b8o4_at_imsp212.netvigator.com>...
> I don't understand why my Temporary tablespace is always 99% full even we
> shut down the database for a UNIX tar backup on every 6:00 am.
> Do I need to turn off the whole UNIX machine and then turn its power again
> so that all the content of the Temporary tablespace will be cleared ?
> If no, how can I clear all the content of a Temporary tablespace on an
> Oracle 8i RDBMS ?

You need to let SMON do its thing to clear it (could be on startup), and you may need to do it twice, ie, shutdown db, startup, shutdown.

Of course, there may also be issues with how you are figuring it is 99% full. And also, which TEMPORARY syntax are you using - you may not need to back it up at all.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
You _have_ read all the metalink articles, right?