Re: SQL Works but PL/SQL hangs

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 13:12:21 GMT

(NOTE followup set to just comp.databases.oracle.misc)

Amir wrote:
> When I issue a statement to fetch some data from the remote database
> on the SQL prompt it works fine, as given below
>
> SQL> select trans_no from XYZ_at_remotedb;
>
> But when I embbed the same query in PL/SQL block it hangs and does not
> complete
>
> declare
> x varchar2(50);
> begin
> select trans_no into x from XYZ_at_remotedb;
> end;
>

> What could be the reason?
>
> ~~Amir

Is the query really that simple? Is the XYZ table actually maybe a view? Are you joining tables?

  I have had remote transactions that seemed to hang, but were really just slow performance over the link. For example, trying to join a local table with a remote one can give LONG (tens of hours) exection times.

--
Ed Prochak
running    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-faq/