Re: SQL Plus Worksheet, Linux, sql client alternatives

From: Rodney Leger <jediknight_at_iname.com>
Date: 15 Apr 2003 17:28:30 -0700

"andi" <a_at_a.com> wrote in message news:<b7g6oi$rfg$1_at_mawar.singnet.com.sg>...
> Hi,
> Thanks for your respond.
> Is your oracle 9i installed on rh 8.0 then you upgraded to rh9?
> or you install fresh oracle 9i on fresh rh 9?
> I have installed oracle 9i on rh 8.0, but not sure whether upgraded to rh 9
> will break everything. (I'm newbie in linux)
>

> TIA,
> andi
> "Rodney Leger" <jediknight_at_iname.com> wrote in message
> > "andi" <a_at_a.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > Can you tell me how to install oracle 9i on RH 9, please ?
> > > I heard that we need to recompile the kernel to install successfully, is
> > > this true?
> > >
> > > TIA,
> > > Andi
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > "Rodney Leger" <jediknight_at_iname.com> wrote in message

> > Actually, I just ran into some problems with Redhat 9 and Oracle 9i.
> > The kernel issue seems to be related to the use of native threads in
> > Redhat 9. The fix in my case was easy enough though in that I simply
> > had to set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL to 2.4.1.
> >
> > You can find some additional info on this directly from Oracle using
> > the link below.
> >

> http://www.oracle.com/forums/thread.jsp?forum=135&thread=171801&message=4490
> 62&q=7265646861742039#449062
> >

> > -Rodney

Started with RH8, then upgraded to RH9. Which seems to be the least "problematic" method of getting it to work. I did the Oracle 9i on RH8 then upgraded to RH9 in the same day, so I didn't extensively test what worked on RH8 but hasn't on RH9. Well anyway, the main problems that I encountered on RH9 were related to starting Oracle Enterprise Manager. Like I said earlier, I was able to solve this by setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL to 2.4.1.

-Rodney Received on Wed Apr 16 2003 - 02:28:30 CEST

Original text of this message