Re: [ANNOUNCE] Senora: a replacement for sqlplus

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 9 Apr 2003 17:10:04 -0700

Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:<3E92F0F1.397BDA84_at_telusplanet.net>...
> Niall Litchfield wrote:
>

> > I'm afraid that I do not mind what licencing people use when promoting their
> > products, promotion of products should really go IMO in .marketplace where
> > it is appropriate and not .misc and .server where it isn't. It also seems
> > somewhat clear to me that Dan was using spam in its widely accepted sense
> > not in the technical sense of what sort of post can be cancelled from NNTP
> > groups.
>
> IMHO, since this is an announcement, and clearly indicated as such, I would
> prefer seeing it in marketplace. (This way we can reserve .server for flame
> fests. <g>)

From the rationale of the creation of marketplace:

"This news group should provide a specific place for those interested in the Oracle-related job market, as well as any other Oracle- related products and services for sale or wanted. Creation of this group will provide relief to the many readers of the news group who are annoyed by the large number of commercial advertisement postings."

I'd say that since the product was not for sale or wanted, it should _not_ be in marketplace. If it is a new "product," it should be. I think "product" implies "sale," but I realize this is arguable.

And if someone has a better link describing these things than my own, please post. http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry/oraclech.htm  It really should be in
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/comp/databases/oracle/server/%5BFAQ%5D_Oracle_Database_FAQ don't you thnk?

And from the tools charter:

"If the comp.databases.oracle.server newsgroup is created in this reorganization, then discussions of tools and applications designed for use by database administrators should be carried on in the .server newsgroup, and not the .tools group."

> I do object that this is cross-posted. And I apologize for corss-posting the
> reply.

The charters would tend to support this, but I think the OP was a good example that this is an insufficiency in the charter - I think it _should_ have been correct. Which reflects my own bias towards the idea of these groups supporting such efforts.

> I do wonder whether a different approach, for .server and .tools, would have
> worked without raising blood pressure. Something like "Would anyone care to
> evaluate or comment on a new tool that we believe could be a replacement for
> ...."

Yes, that should explicitly be in the faq.

I think Dan jumped the gun on this one, he apologized so that's cool, having experienced the horrible death of misc.jobs.misc I can certainly understand the desire of vigilance against the coiffed masses - but we must understand the difference between vigilance and vigilantism. It's the difference between the price of liberty and the cost of fascism.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.  Yeah, just plug that rj-45 into the wall :-)
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/computing/20030409-1427-high-speedhouse.html