Re: Expanded Oracle DBA Site

From: Jeffrey Hunter <JeffreyH_at_comanage.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 18:36:06 -0400

[Quoted] Let me set the record straight here. Sometime ago, I ran across a well-written document titled "Oracle9i New Features". The article was authored by Howard Rogers and like he indicated, the copyright was noted at [Quoted] the bottom of each page. Hosting this document on my site *was*, like has been said, an honest mistake. Nothing more. My intention for hosting this document was due to the rich, accurate and well organized content for newcomers to Oracle9i. Knowing that this document could not be hosted without his permission, is something I learned very recently. (Yesterday to [Quoted] be precise). My understanding was that his name (and rightfully so) should remain intact in the document and could be posted anywhere (just as would linking it from one site to another). A lawyer I am not.

One of Bob Badour's allegations on this thread is that I purposely missed the fact that this copyright notice existed and intentionally put the document on my site while knowing it was wrong! Also, that this should say a [Quoted] lot about my character. Well, Bob you seem to think you are capable of knowing my intentions and my character. Also that I have no respect for ones [Quoted] copyrighted and intellectual property. (More on you later Bob.)

[Quoted] Upon finding his article being hosted on my site (and without his permission) Howard posted to the same news groups I used to advertise my website with its recently added content. I don't check and contribute to news groups on a daily basis. In fact, it was a friend that emailed to say that I was being "publicly accessed of stealing" and provided me with the appropriate links to these threads. After reading through the threads, I instantly removed the document and the link to it. Two things came to mind: [Quoted] [Quoted] (1) Why hadn't Howard emailed me personally? I have two email addresses clearly marked on the home page of my site. (As well as the ISP hosting the [Quoted] [Quoted] site). (2) Why were his first reactions to my intentions so rushed? Why is it that his first instinct is that I stole the document and was going to continue to use it without his permission?

[Quoted] When I need to work with people, I take every means to contact them directly [Quoted] and use tact when confronting them; always assuming that people mean well. [Quoted] Howard didn't think so. He assumed that I would be hanging out on the [Quoted] newsgroup waiting for a reply. When he didn't get a reply from the newsgroup [Quoted] (me) in a time he felt sufficient, he continued to use a demeanor that was unprofessional, making my site look like an "underground rouge site that engages only on stealing content and calling it his own or publishing it with no respect to the intellectual property of the author". To the contrary, the information on my site is my own work as well as links to others. I post my email address and have nothing to hide. I would have apologized for my misunderstanding and all would have been completed. But that doesn't seem to be the temperament of several of the posters to this group nor would it have meant anything. Much of what is happening here is a [Quoted] clear point that Gabriel was trying to make. People (although particularly this news group) talks simply to hear themselves talk or to simply blow off steam.

[Quoted] [Quoted] As for Bob's comments on this thread. You first indicate that me calling Howard "unprofessional" was because I wasn't allowing him to "exercising his [Quoted] own right to his own intellectual property". Wrong Bob. I called him unprofessional for his demeanor, tact and failure to contact me directly. You next refer to me as a "disgrace" and a "rank amateur" - "Have you no shame". Well Bob, wrong again. I am far from a "rank amateur" in this profession. I have years of experience in Oracle as a programmer and Sr. DBA. Strong working knowledge of Java, JavaCC, C, C++, and Perl. Successful [Quoted] in managing projects and team members. You then go on saying that I:

"had no right to libel the man he stole from. The fact that he showed no contrition (not one bit) for stealing (regardless of intentions) says a lot [Quoted] about the man's character. That he showed vindictiveness where contrition wa [Quoted] s called for says even more about his character."

[Quoted] Well, half right and half wrong. You are right; I didn't show penitence for [Quoted] posting Howard's article. Had it been something I did while knowing that it [Quoted] was wrong, this would not only be wrong but also reason to have the site shutdown. I had every right, however, to libel Howard for his attitude and knee-jerk reaction that I intentionally stole his work and assumed to keep it published without his consent. This is one reason Howard will not get an [Quoted] apology from me.

[Quoted] Bob, it seems very peculiar that you have "sealed by fate", "knew my intentions", "feel that I am a rank amateur", and say I "have no character". [Quoted] Well, Bob, I'm not sure what type of imperialist you think you are. I have no idea who the hell you are and where you get off making these gross assumptions about me. This was obviously a chance for you to voice your opinion about me (again, knowing nothing about me), "shoot from the hip", and hear yourself speak. If you anything more to say on this thread Bob, pipe it to /dev/null.

This will be my last response to this particular thread. Hopefully we can continue with the subject of this news group: "Oracle".

  • jeff

Jeffrey M. Hunter
Sr. Database Administrator
jhunter_at_idevelopment.info
www.idevelopment.info

"Gabriel Gonzalez" <no-spam_at_no-spam.com> wrote in message news:MxOdnTcP1ebiJAyjXTWcoQ_at_giganews.com...
> > > Maybe it's just me, but I don't think in legal terms.
> > Really? Then why did you make capricious demands for proof of
uncontested

> Capricious? I was thinking more like "fair." Is capricious a legal term?
> :-)
>
> > facts? Isn't "proof" a legal term? Didn't you demand the "proof" for
what
> > you called my "allegations"? Isn't "allegations" a legal term?
>
> They common words that can be used in a legal context. Jeez!
>
> > Gabriel, you lack credibility. If you wanted things to get back to
Oracle,