Re: Oracle2PostgreSQL Migration with PL/pgSQL

From: Jacqui CAren <Jacqui.Caren_at_ig.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 15:13:12 +0100

"Paul Brewer" <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk> wrote in news:3e762c90_2_at_mk- -1.news.uk.worldonline.com:

> Your first question requires an answer which is too long; sorry.

I find the answer very simple if you want more that 100 inserts per second without data corruption and like the idea of 10K transactional IPS then oracle does win vs SS7/2K.

However if the customer is a MS shop SS is the name of the game most of them know it is a heap of $%£* but they are tied to it.

In a recnet project I expect we spent around 30% of the project budget working around unfixed 'features' of SS7. Dont say upgrade to SS2K - the cust will not upgrade becasue it causes more problems than it fixes.

> For the second: Whichever has the better marketing team, of course.

The correct answer at last :-)

Jacqui

p.s. You can get better than 100 IPS via ADO but you start to get truncated bind values for varchars(). Evidently this is a performance feature and not a bug :-)

p.p.s. I have seen a Oracle server do 10K IPS on a sun (in the bad old days when O8 was was the state of the art!)

Nowadays oracle is no longer a database - it is an application server and people who want to use the database directly such as ourselves are finding the APIs getting slower and slower.

So give oracle a few more years and it will be as just as slow and broken as "SS" :-) Received on Fri Apr 04 2003 - 16:13:12 CEST

Original text of this message