Re: Oracle to Access Migration/Conversion

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 09:53:11 -0800

Dmitry wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Access allows you to import data from an Oracle database. Choose File->Get
> External Data->Import. Not sure you can automate this task.
>
> Best regards, Dmitry
> --
> SQLWays - Database migration software for Oracle, IBM DB2, SQL Server,
> Sybase and MySQL (http://www.ispirer.com/products)
>
> "Hari Om" <hari_om_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > Greetings!
> >
> > I am using Oracle 9.2 DB and have a Web Application written in
> > Servlets/JSP.
> >
> > Everyday _at_ 6:00pm I want to convert my Oracle DB to Access DB - what
> > is the Best way to do this...? is it possible? what tools would I need
> > to achieve this? ANy related information on this is appreciated.
> >
> > THANKS!
That fact that Access "allows" it doesn't make it advisable.

What do you do if an end-user changes the data in Access? How do you duplicate Oracle security? How do you post changes back to Oracle and maintain data integrity? How do you handle foreign keys, check constraints, triggers, sequences, etc?

Just not worth the effort? An Access Form can connect to Oracle, give the same access, and preserve security and data integrity with minimal effort.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Apr 02 2003 - 19:53:11 CEST

Original text of this message