Re: Problem in connecting oracle with visual basic

From: Mark <mark__at_msouter_.co_.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:26:32 +0000

kumar veetrag wrote:

> whenever i try to connect oracle with visual basic, it asks for a DSN
> and driver for oracle.
> i m not to able to solve this problem.
> plz tell me how to connect it with oralce and which all references i
> have to include in visual basic for the same purpose.
> thank u.

I have found that the Microsoft ODBC driver for Oracle is easiest to use with Visual Basic (5 and 6) - as far as I am aware, you need to install the Oracle Net8 Client which lies between the ODBC driver and the Database. I personally connect using ADO which negates the need for a DSN setup on the client PC, but RDO works if you want to set the DSN connections up. Doing it this way, you don't use the datasource components that come with VB, but handle all the data long hand through your code. www.vb-helper.com is a reasonable start for ADO stuff should you need it. Received on Mon Mar 31 2003 - 22:26:32 CEST

Original text of this message