Re: isqlplus

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 12:11:48 -0800

Comments interspersed below:

Chuck wrote:

> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in
>
> > Chuck wrote:
> >> Is there some security risk that I'm missing by having him run
> >> isqlplus?
> >
> > Apparently you are unaware that the Oracle client is installed on the
> > server.
>
> I am perfectly aware of the fact that it's installed on the server. His
> workstation however is not the server.

What difference does that make? What prevents him from using it?

> > Your NT Admin need only log onto the server and run a batch file
> > though even this to is unnecessary.
> >
> > I would create a job that runs regularly under DBMS_JOB and loads the
> > metrics into a table. Then that can be printed as a report whenever
> > required using Crystal, or Access, or any one of a dozen other tools.
>
> Why would I want to go to all that trouble when a simple URL will provide
> up to the minute information without anyone needing to license and
> install another copy of crystal, access, or anything else? Instead of a 2
> or 3 step process it's a one step process and the software is already on
> the workstation.
>
> I must be missing something here. It sounds like setting up a series of
> lenses and mirrors to see what it's like outside when I can simply look
> out the window.

[Quoted] [Quoted] What you are missing, at least from my perspective, is that you have taken a simple task Oracle DBAs and SysAdmins have been doing for more than 15+ years and tried to turn it into a goat rope.

There is an interface that has worked perfectly well for as far back as I can remember called the SQL*Plus command line. Rather than using it you are trying to kludge a new tool into doing a job for which it was not intended.

If you succeed go for it. I've no doubt I could write a Java Applet or something to do the job. But what a load of work for something I could set up and do the traditional way in less time than you have devoted to posting to the usenet.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Mar 28 2003 - 21:11:48 CET

Original text of this message