Re: SQL Question: Describe <tablename>;

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 16:33:17 GMT

[Quoted] Describe is not a traditional SQL command. Look it up in the manuals and you'll see that it really isn't very flexible.

While you are looking up the Describe command, I encourage you to look up the Dictionary views ... check out DBA_TABLES, USER_TABLES, ALL_TABLES,
?_TAB_COLUMNS and also (I've heard deprecated, ut apparently still around)
?_TAB
(The difference between DBA_TABLES, USER_TABLES, ALL_TABLES is well described in the documentation.)

All of this information, and considerably more, is available for a small investment of time spent reading various documentation. You can find such documentation at http://otn.oracle.com

For the sake of interest, where did you get the impression that "describe my_table where Type = CHAR(10);" might work? Is this from some book, manual or other DB manager? Or has someone provided another new feature I missed?

/Hans Received on Fri Mar 28 2003 - 17:33:17 CET

Original text of this message