Re: isqlplus

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 08:23:17 -0800

Chuck wrote:

> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in
>
> > Chuck wrote:
> >
> >> Is it possible to launch isqlplus and have it automatically run a
> >> script on the server? If so what's the syntax for doing that?
> >
> > It may be possible but this is not an appropriate use of iSQL*Plus.
> > Use the SQL*Plus command line executable.
> >
> > Daniel Morgan
> >

> Why is it inappropriate use if isqlplus? I have an NT administrator who
> simply needs to run a count of database users from time to time. His
> choices to do this are
>
> 1. Install the entire oracle client with sqlplus on his workstation so he
> can run a batch file that runs the query.
> 2. Make him go through the steps of connecting to the server with
> terminal services or something like that, then locating and running a
> batch file that runs the query.
> 3. What I'm proposing: simply select a URL from his favorites list.
>
> #3 is a whole lot simpler for everyone.
>
> BTW I did find documentation on how do what I want on OTN.
>
> Is there some security risk that I'm missing by having him run isqlplus?

[Quoted] Apparently you are unaware that the Oracle client is installed on the server.

[Quoted] [Quoted] Your NT Admin need only log onto the server and run a batch file though even this to is unnecessary.

I would create a job that runs regularly under DBMS_JOB and loads the metrics into a table. Then that can be printed as a report whenever required using Crystal, or Access, or any one of a dozen other tools.

On the other hand ... if I had an NT Admin that had any responsibility for an Oracle server and didn't have SQL*Plus installed .. I'd either send them to training or send them to another employer where they might find a job more suitable to their skills and interests.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Mar 28 2003 - 17:23:17 CET

Original text of this message