Re: 9i Forms without Application Server?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 20:00:11 GMT

aaa wrote:

> Because ORACLE AS licenses $20,000/per CPU NOT every company can afford. for
> those companies have small amount of users (less than 100), client/server is
> enough. Why bother to use ORACLE AS?

Some of the time, your point is valid. Some of the time the marketing from other vendors or the lack of understanding from the technical person or consultant (or other reasons) makes your point invalid.

Yes, it does seem expensive if you only want a specific functionality and you deliberately ignore the rest of the functionality. I have seen small businesses spend much more than $20,000 per CPU buying the software in pieces (workflow, LDAP, queueing, forms, mail, J2EE, portal, and so on) instead of looking at the whole package. I have found this is occasionally (accidentally?) caused by consultants/resellers who are not truly knowledgeable or who are revenue-based.

But an organization may want to use Oracle AS because

- it is supported,
- in has a corporate reputation behind it
- there is formal training available
- there are consultants available
- there is documentation
- when the lonely tech gets sick, or leaves, someone can help (at a price)
- Oracle, not the tech, is responsible for the integration (and will eventually
get it right)

Note: I fully support OpenSource and FSF (both). I believe in Linux. But sometimes it might not be the correct alternative. By analogy, although I could repair my car all by myself, I still take it into a service shop because it is less expensive ... for example, I do not have to hire a painter to paint my house while I'm tinkering with the car.

Just MHO
/Hans Received on Thu Mar 27 2003 - 21:00:11 CET

Original text of this message