Re: forms 6i and packages defined in the report

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:43:30 -0800

Scott Mattes wrote:

> Is there a known problem with calling procs/funcs defined in the body of a
> package that is in the program units section of a report?
>
> We are seeing "ORA-06508: PL/SQL: could not find program unit being called"
> and of course it couldn't possibly tell us which one it couldn't find.
>
> I know that the problem is in the calls to the procs in the package in the
> program unit section because when I comment out the call the problem goes
> away. Using the variables defined in the package spec unit has no problem.
> The proc uses a PL/SQL table to keep track of which proc/func is being run
> at any one time, but doesn't make calls to any proc/func/package outside of
> the report.
>
> Just wondering if this was some know problem, or if my gut feeling is
> correct (that it has to do with the user compiling on one system and moving
> the .rep to another for execution).
>
> ORACLE Server Release 8.0.6.0.0
> Oracle Procedure Builder 6.0.8.11.0
> Oracle ORACLE PL/SQL V8.0.6.0.0 - Production
> Oracle CORE Version 4.0.6.0.0 - Production
> Oracle Tools Integration Services 6.0.8.10.2
> Oracle Tools Common Area 6.0.5.32.1
> Oracle Toolkit 2 for Windows 32-bit platforms 6.0.5.35.0
> Resource Object Store 6.0.5.0.1
> Oracle Help 6.0.5.35.0
> Oracle Sqlmgr 6.0.8.11.3
> Oracle Query Builder 6.0.7.0.0 - Production
> PL/SQL Editor (c) WinMain Software (www.winmain.com), v1.0 (Production)
> Oracle ZRC 6.0.8.11.3
> Oracle Express 6.0.8.3.5
> Oracle XML Parser 1.0.2.1.0 Production
> Oracle Virtual Graphics System 6.0.5.35.0
> Oracle Image 6.0.5.34.0
> Oracle Multimedia Widget 6.0.5.34.0
> Oracle Tools GUI Utilities 6.0.5.35.0

No problem I have ever encountered.

But if you can't tell where the failure is occurring it means your error trapping is woefully inadequate.

I would start with making sure the user has the object privilege to execute each and every package required.

But wouldn't stop until every single block in the form accurately reported if an error occurred by writing a record to a log table.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Mar 27 2003 - 19:43:30 CET

Original text of this message