Re: names server assistance needed...

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_nospam.yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 23:34:01 GMT

Chuck wrote:

> [posted and mailed]
>
> Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in
>

>> Chuck wrote:
>>
>>> Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no.spam.yahoo.com> wrote in

>>> There are two ways to get rid of the names server from the list in
>>> net8 assistant. One is to shut down the names server and then do a
>>> "discover names servers". The other is to just edit the sdns.ora file
>>> manually and delete the line. On windows the file is called sdns.ora.
>>> On unix it's prefixed with a "." to make it hidden. It should be in
>>> the %ORACLE_HOME%/network/names directory.
>>
>> Thanks - but I tried both of your suggestions, when I shutdown the
>> names server and try to discover names servers, it does nothing and I
>> still cant delete it, and there is no sdns.ora file anywhere in the
>> oracle home directory.
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>>

> There are two ways to define names servers to a client in net8. The old
> way which actually goes back to Oracle version 7 (sqlnet version 2) is to
> list them in the sqlnet.ora file in a names.preffered_servers entry. The
> new way is to discover them automatically either with net8 assistant or
> "namesctl reorder_ns". It sounds like you're using the old way. Check
> your sqlnet.ora file for the above mentioned entry and remove the names
> server that you don't want the client to know about. You can also remove
> them in the net8 assistant by selecting local, profile, preferred oracle
> names server (from the drop down on the right). Highlight the one you
> don't want and click delete.
>
> There is actually a third way that a client can discover names servers
> but it was only available in a few version of sqlnet and was no longer
> supported in net8. It was to run the names server on the default port
> (1575) and set up dns aliases names oranamesrvr0-3 (may have been 1-4, I
> forget now). If no preferred_servers was present in the sqlnet.ora file,
> it would automatically scan those hosts for a names server and use it if
> one was found. You're probably not using that method but I thought I'd
> mention it anyway in case you ever run into it.
>
> HTH
I've hit a bit of a dead end here - I cant delete (or start) the names server from my local machine, and I cant get it to see the other server I have set up on a different machine. None of the documentation I can find on it seems to be of help.

I plan on eventually deploying and using ldap once I start the 9i upgrades, but in any case I want to get a good handle on the workings of oracle names as I've only recently got everything on > 8.1.x and it'll likely be awhile before I start the 9i path, much less complete it.

TIA Received on Thu Mar 27 2003 - 00:34:01 CET

Original text of this message