Re: names server assistance needed...

From: Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
Date: 26 Mar 2003 17:30:57 GMT

[Quoted] [posted and mailed]

Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in news:Os2ga.56696$wW.5509224_at_news2.telusplanet.net:

> Chuck wrote:
>
>> Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no.spam.yahoo.com> wrote in
>>

>>> With the help of the docs on tahiti.oracle.com I've managed to get a
>>> names server up, running and functional on my workstation. Now I've
>>> created another one on a more robust machine that I'd like to have
>>> as the main names server, with the one on my workstation as the
>>> second names server in the domain.
>>>
>>> The problem is I cant get the 2 servers to see each other, either
>>> automatically or by entering the address of the server manually when
>>> prompted. I'm thinking this is because I likely created each to be
>>> the first in the region. No problem, I can just delete the first one
>>> I created and recreate it I think, but net8 assistant wont let me
>>> delete the names server, I shutdown the server, but still no go.
>>> The delete option and the "X" remains greyed out no matter what, and
>>> theres nothing in the docs about this that I can find.
>>>
>>> Now how do I either switch the names server so that it does not
>>> think its the first in the region, or delete the names server
>>> completely so I can recreate it as not the first names server in the
>>> region/domain?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> There are two ways to get rid of the names server from the list in
>> net8 assistant. One is to shut down the names server and then do a
>> "discover names servers". The other is to just edit the sdns.ora file
>> manually and delete the line. On windows the file is called sdns.ora.
>> On unix it's prefixed with a "." to make it hidden. It should be in
>> the %ORACLE_HOME%/network/names directory.
>
> Thanks - but I tried both of your suggestions, when I shutdown the
> names server and try to discover names servers, it does nothing and I
> still cant delete it, and there is no sdns.ora file anywhere in the
> oracle home directory.
>
> Any other ideas?

[Quoted] There are two ways to define names servers to a client in net8. The old way which actually goes back to Oracle version 7 (sqlnet version 2) is to list them in the sqlnet.ora file in a names.preffered_servers entry. The new way is to discover them automatically either with net8 assistant or "namesctl reorder_ns". It sounds like you're using the old way. Check your sqlnet.ora file for the above mentioned entry and remove the names server that you don't want the client to know about. You can also remove them in the net8 assistant by selecting local, profile, preferred oracle names server (from the drop down on the right). Highlight the one you don't want and click delete.

There is actually a third way that a client can discover names servers but it was only available in a few version of sqlnet and was no longer supported in net8. It was to run the names server on the default port (1575) and set up dns aliases names oranamesrvr0-3 (may have been 1-4, I forget now). If no preferred_servers was present in the sqlnet.ora file, it would automatically scan those hosts for a names server and use it if one was found. You're probably not using that method but I thought I'd mention it anyway in case you ever run into it.

HTH Received on Wed Mar 26 2003 - 18:30:57 CET

Original text of this message