Re: names server assistance needed...

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_nospam.yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 19:53:18 GMT

Chuck wrote:

> Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no.spam.yahoo.com> wrote in
>

>> With the help of the docs on tahiti.oracle.com I've managed to get a
>> names server up, running and functional on my workstation. Now I've
>> created another one on a more robust machine that I'd like to have as
>> the main names server, with the one on my workstation as the second
>> names server in the domain.
>>
>> The problem is I cant get the 2 servers to see each other, either
>> automatically or by entering the address of the server manually when
>> prompted. I'm thinking this is because I likely created each to be the
>> first in the region. No problem, I can just delete the first one I
>> created and recreate it I think, but net8 assistant wont let me delete
>> the names server, I shutdown the server, but still no go. The delete
>> option and the "X" remains greyed out no matter what, and theres
>> nothing in the docs about this that I can find.
>>
>> Now how do I either switch the names server so that it does not think
>> its the first in the region, or delete the names server completely so
>> I can recreate it as not the first names server in the region/domain?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> There are two ways to get rid of the names server from the list in net8
> assistant. One is to shut down the names server and then do a "discover
> names servers". The other is to just edit the sdns.ora file manually and
> delete the line. On windows the file is called sdns.ora. On unix it's
> prefixed with a "." to make it hidden. It should be in the
> %ORACLE_HOME%/network/names directory.

Thanks - but I tried both of your suggestions, when I shutdown the names server and try to discover names servers, it does nothing and I still cant delete it, and there is no sdns.ora file anywhere in the oracle home directory.

Any other ideas?   Received on Tue Mar 25 2003 - 20:53:18 CET

Original text of this message