Managing Oracle with R-commands vs. SSH

From: Pabster <is2003_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 02:27:29 GMT

[Quoted] Upon speaking with some Oracle administrators in my office, they are insisting that they need to use R-commands (rlogin, rsh etc) to manage Oracle and for use in applications that use Oracle (we have 8i and 9i). We would like to turn off the R-commands on all systems due to security issues but these Oracle admins are resisting. Though I have read many articles on this and all say that SSH is a complete replacement for the R-commands and can be used instead. I even spoke to one one Oracle admin from another company who said he uses SSH in his Oracle environment and would never use R-commands.

Since I am not Oracle-savvy, I wanted to get opinions out there....why would this Oracle admin state that he HAS to use R-commands instead of SSH? Lack of knowledge on his part or possibly better reasoning that I'm not aware of?

Thanks! Received on Tue Mar 25 2003 - 03:27:29 CET

Original text of this message