pro C versus PL/SQL

From: Lolita <lolitagroux_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 23 Mar 2003 17:36:38 -0800

Hi,

[Quoted] [Quoted] I am testing a part of code in pro C and PL/SQL. The code in C takes 2 [Quoted] [Quoted] minutes to execute while the PL/SQL code takes 7 minutes. [Quoted] It would be really easier to code and manage if the program could be written in PL/SQL. I would like to know if it is possble to improve the PL/SQL performance.

The code does the following:
1- Select the data from the database
[Quoted] 2- For each record seleted it looks through a serie of elsif statement, if the record meets the criteria of one elsif statement, the data of this record is updated into the database. There can be up to 300 elsif statements.

Number 2 takes most of the time.

My questions are the following:

1- Why C is more performant than PL/SQL? 2- Would it be faster to use else if statments instead of elsif statments?
3- Would it be better to store all the records that have met a elsif statment into a PL/SQL table and then loop through the table to update them into the database? There can be up to 60000 records to put in the PL/SQL. Thanks in advance
Lolita Received on Mon Mar 24 2003 - 02:36:38 CET

Original text of this message