Re: Forms 9i middle tier on client?

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 20 Mar 2003 03:26:39 -0800

geert.pille_at_vandemoortele.com (Gerard H. Pille) wrote in message news:<41b04c0d.0303190038.7139a80a_at_posting.google.com>...
> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3E68C31B.8286BD3C_at_exesolutions.com>...
> >
> > I can certainly understand how momentum at Oracle in Redwood Shores might push them to be
> > thinking 'web' but in so-doing they have decided to compete against .NET and ignore VB and
> > Access. It is an abandonment of a very large market segment and a blunder.
> >
> > I could understand deciding not to create a new client-server implementation. But realistically
> > how hard would it have been to provide a simple tool to port 9i forms to a format where they
> > would have run under the client-server runtime? One developer ... 90 days? If that!
> >
> > Daniel Morgan
>
> It might not take them any time at all, all functionality is still
> there, and recently the C/S version of forms was still present in the
> makefile, you could just "make" f90runm on unix. I hope they will
> come to their sences ...
>
> (vague hope: "sences" <-> "US" ??? come on, flame me)
>
> This "web" technology creates bandwidth problems too, a 64Kb line will
> not serve 4 active users, we'll run into trouble with offices abroad.
> But then, of course, Oracle is not interested in customers with 64Kb
> lines.
>
> Geert

Well its the Oracle web technology that creates bandwidth problems because its a 'heavy weight' tool. Java Swing does not since it does not need to send as much network traffic back to the server. I have never used PL/SQL server pages to generate HTML, but have been told the network traffic is very light with that implementation also.

Project Im on now is using .net to do GUI's Project Manager told me the #1 reason for the choice over forms was the network traffic issue because the GUI is based around Drag and Drop. This I cant back up, since Im mainly doing the back end. Received on Thu Mar 20 2003 - 12:26:39 CET

Original text of this message