Re: Forms 9i middle tier on client?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:15:16 -0800

"Gerard H. Pille" wrote:

> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3E68C31B.8286BD3C_at_exesolutions.com>...
> >
> > I can certainly understand how momentum at Oracle in Redwood Shores might push them to be
> > thinking 'web' but in so-doing they have decided to compete against .NET and ignore VB and
> > Access. It is an abandonment of a very large market segment and a blunder.
> >
> > I could understand deciding not to create a new client-server implementation. But realistically
> > how hard would it have been to provide a simple tool to port 9i forms to a format where they
> > would have run under the client-server runtime? One developer ... 90 days? If that!
> >
> > Daniel Morgan
>
> It might not take them any time at all, all functionality is still
> there, and recently the C/S version of forms was still present in the
> makefile, you could just "make" f90runm on unix. I hope they will
> come to their sences ...
>
> (vague hope: "sences" <-> "US" ??? come on, flame me)
>
> This "web" technology creates bandwidth problems too, a 64Kb line will
> not serve 4 active users, we'll run into trouble with offices abroad.
> But then, of course, Oracle is not interested in customers with 64Kb
> lines.
>
> Geert

I would appreciate anyone from Oracle addressing this if that is possible. Why was this decision made? I hate to be too cynical on this but I mean other than just to force sales of 9iAS.

Any chance of undoing this decision in Forms 10i?

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Mar 19 2003 - 17:15:16 CET

Original text of this message