Re: Oracle2PostgreSQL Migration with PL/pgSQL

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:10:02 +0100

[Quoted] Justin Clift wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>> Guido Stepken wrote:

> <snip>
>
>> Apparently copying the design of the Oracle counts as doing something not
>> done by "traditional" database systems. Nothing like marketing folks
>> to lack
>> in integrity. If Oracle isn't a "traditional" database system ... I'd
>> like
>> to know what is.

> Hey, not fair! Don't put us in the same box as *Oracle's* marketing
> department.
>
> As you quoted, it says "superior to most commercial database systems".
> ^^^^
>
> The "most" word is kind of important to the sentence here. :)
>
> Both PostgreSQL and Oracle use MVCC. Don't think other commercial
> systems have moved to an MVCC based approach yet (if ever). From
> memory, other Open Source databases (FireBird) also use an MVCC based
> approach now too.

[Quoted] Your memory is (almost) correct: FireBird aka formerly Interbase has been using MVCC ever since I can remember which is as far back as Interbase 4.x or, in other words, about 6 years.

So the 'now' in your remark is somewhat misleading ;-)

[Quoted] Best regards,

Holger Received on Mon Mar 10 2003 - 18:10:02 CET

Original text of this message