Re: Jdeveloper isn't FREE?!

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 14:28:25 -0800

dmz17 wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 11:01:06 +0000, Dave wrote:
>
> > "dmz17" <dmz17_at_nospam.nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2003.03.07.16.00.49.936975_at_nospam.nowhere.com>...
> >> On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 07:21:30 +0000, Dave wrote:
> >>
> >> Funny thing is that people will download software, happily scroll to the
> >> buttom of the license conditions, hit 'I accept' and STILL believe
> >> everything is free ;-)
> >>

> > You actually waste time reading them? Up until now i've only seen
> > "FREE" stamped on Jdeveloper... Today was the first time I heard of
> > fee's.
>
> I used to work for Oracle and can't count the times I went to customers
> who used the product and never thought about paying.
>
> This is from the license agreement:
>
> You may not:
> ·use the programs for your own internal data processing or
> for any commercial or production purposes,
> or use the programs for any purpose except the development
> and prototyping of your applications;
>
> From this figures that if you just want to play with it or learn Java or
> whatever, it is free. If you want to actually use the code you develop,
> even for your own purpose on your own machine, it is NOT free.
>
> I admit that the download pages says: download for free or something to
> that effect, but Oracle along with everyone else in the business never
> lacked in areas of Marketing skills.
>
> Cheers,
>
> dmz17

Based on what you've posted your interpretation is incorrect.

What you posted says "or use the programs for any purpose except the development and prototyping of your applications" which indicates that you can use the free copy to prototype and develop but must pay before putting what you developed into production. It says nothing about use in a test environment which most would interpret as an extension of development.

Daniel Morgan Received on Sat Mar 08 2003 - 23:28:25 CET

Original text of this message