Re: Problem in Installation of Repository Administration Utility

From: Satish <satish.kumar_at_oracle.com>
Date: 6 Mar 2003 09:40:17 -0800

Hi,
  I think you are facing this problem because you are installing Designer 9i on a 8i database, if I am not wrong. The solution to this is that:

Please ensure that you have installed the 8.1.7 import/expert utilities into a separate Oracle Home and point the registry variables to use them as detailed in the Repository Installation guide. If you are using a 9i client against an 8.1.7 db it is necessary to install the 8.1.7 utilities. Unable to install Oracle SCM on an Oracle 8.1.7 database

Problem:
When attempting to install Oracle SCM on an Oracle 8.1.7 database, the following error can be encountered.
CDR-21244 This process has been aborted. The previous process has failed or the user has aborted it.
This problem occurs because Oracle9i import and export utilities are not compatible with an Oracle 8.1.7 database. This not a bug but an Oracle9i design feature.

Workaround:
To install Oracle SCM on an Oracle 8.1.7 database, you will first need to install Oracle 8.1.7 import and export utilities in a separate Oracle Home. The registry variables EXECUTE_IMPORT and EXECUTE_EXPORT need to be changed to point to these 8.1.7 import and exportutilities instead of to the Oracle9i versions. These variables are found under the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\REPOS61 Note that when installing the 8.1.7 import and export utilities, the following error may be encountered:
There is no oracle.swd.jre 1.1.8.10

The workaround here is to use the Oracle Universal Installer installed onto your hard disk with the Oracle9i install, to install the Oracle 8.1.7components.

Hope this helps.

Regards
  Satish