Re: Oracle Forms 6i and 9i

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:08:51 +0100

I would only become wanting JDeveloper if (and ONLY if) JDeveloper would be easier to handle than Forms - indeed, in many cases Forms drive me crazy ... Oracle would become favorite to the people if they make their tools easy and well documented.
They put so much energy in doc about the DB, but none in Forms. I came to think that
they never wanted us to use Forms at the first place ... but that is too cynic even to my mind ...

But when I read inside this thread that JDevelopers´ learning curve would be even higher than for Forms, which seems true for what I see so far ... no way !

Finally I think that people might continue using Forms even after desupporting, as many sites
do, you still find a lot of Oracle 7 DBs. And it is just because those sites rely on complicated inhouse systems that are for some reason too hard to shift to 9i or whatever, and there is no money left for such adventures.
Wel at least not among middle sized companies ...

Just a point of view.

Jan

> > I have posted a question on the OTN forms forum regarding a light
version
> > of 9iAS EE for just forms/reports deployment at a reduced cost. I also
> > asked Oracle marketing folks why they do not market forms and/or reports
> > as separate tools as they do for JDeveloper (so that those who might
want
> > to use 9i forms and/or reports do not have to purchase the entire 9iDS
> > package). An Oracle employee politely told me to shut up and I did so
with a
> > closing remark ;)
> >
> > Interestingly enough, I saw your posting on this message board
indicating
> > that one of the JDeveloper 9i handbook authors did say that Forms is a
> > dead product and Oracle is putting everything they have into JDeveloper.
> >
> > I also realized that some companies (most of them Oracle partners)
around
> > the world (such as Artinsoft and Informatikatelier) are now offering
> > porting services from forms to java/xml (and some of these tools are
working as
> > plugins to JDeveloper 9i).
> >
> > Eventhough it is a very nice product and we want to continue to use it,
> > after the fading away of forms/reports developer 6i, the final
client/server
> > version of the tool, we will find alternatives instead of using the
> > 9iDS/9iAS EE (enterprise edition) combination.
> >
> > It was my independent conclusion, given the existing licensing policy
for 9i
> > forms/reports and 9iAS EE, that 9i forms/reports is no longer a feasible
> > product for small size companies and small size applications.
> >
> > note: you can view my original posting on OTN forms forum and add your
> > comments.
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > Zafer AKTAN
> > Oracle DBA/Developer
> >

> > On 25 Feb 2003 00:32:07 -0800, nimonic wrote:
> >
> > > I had a quick look at "The JDeveloper 3 Handbook" when I was down at
> > > Borders the other day. It looks good. It has comparisons of the
> > > differences between Forms and Jdeveloper. It's by Peter Koletzke and
> > > Paul Dorsey the guys that wrote the "Developer Advanced Forms &
Reports"
> > > book. They have a JDeveloper 9i Handbook out also.
> > >
> > > Interestingly one of these guys (I can't remember who) said on the
OTUG