Re: Application Server light ?

From: Zafer <zafer_at_redshift.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:45:46 -0800

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 07:57:51 -0800, Leopold Zyka wrote:

> Dear Oracle Guru,
>
> We have an Application using the Oracle Personal Edition 8.1.7 and
> Forms6 as a small Version of
> our big Client/Server Application.
> Unfortunately Forms6 is not supported under WindowsXP New PCs are
> delivered with WindowsXP. If we move to Oracle9i and Forms 9i we need
> the Application Server. right ?
> Is there any possibility to avoid this overkill ? Is there something
> like a Personal Edition of the Application Server ? Is there a Oracle9i
> Personal Edition anyway ?
>
> regards, Leopold

Technically it is possible to serv your 6i forms via Apache. Up to a certain patch level, you can also use 6i forms server do deploy your forms/reports without the need for Apache or 9iAS EE (enterprise edition). This is the technical side of the coin, on the other side lies the licensing issues. If you want to deploy your Oracle forms over the web or the intranet via Apache or 9iAS EE or forms 6i server, you need to obtain the proper 9iAS EE license. You might want to stay with windows 2000 instead of XP. I just wanted to help you to make an educated decision. The following info is from Oracle Metalink certification page.

Hope this proves useful
Zafer AKTAN
Oracle DBA/Developer

     Product Information
          o In order to allow existing customers to upgrade their applications to

Oracle9i Forms, Oracle Forms 6i will be supported until December 31st, 2004. It was previously considered to provide this support until 2006. Given the large number of new features requested by Oracle Forms customers for future releases, Oracle has decided to focus its development,testing and certification resources to meet these expectations, while still providing a realistic time  frame to let existing customers upgrade to the latest release.

          o For the same reasons, Oracle Forms 6i will not be tested and certified for client/server deployment on new operating systems. For instance, Oracle Forms 6i deployment in client/server will not be supported on Windows XP (or later operating systems). However the Forms 6i Builder (design-time environment) with patch 13 will be certified on Windows XP and the Forms 6i client for Web deployment will continue to be certified on the latest operating systems. (In fact, the Forms 6i client for Web deployment is already certified on Windows XP.)

          o For more information regarding Oracle's Forms strategy, please refer to the Oracle Forms Statement of Direction posted on OTN.

          o To help customers upgrade their existing Forms applications to the Web, Oracle provides free resources -- including white papers, HowTo's, code samples, tutorials, FAQs, and more -- on the OTN Oracle Forms Upgrade Center. The center also includes testimonials from customers who moved to the Web, so you can benefit from their experience.

          o NOTE: It is certified for a Forms 6i Client (web deployed) to run on XP as documented in the Client Statement of Direction.

                + -Forms Product Management

      Client Information
          o Windows XP has 2 editions/versions, Professional and Home. Oracle
will ONLY certify on Professional

XP N/A N/A Certified Yes(*) None None None (*) see below XP 6.0.8.22, Patch 13 N/A Projected None N/A N/A N/A

(*) Certify - Additional Info Oracle Forms 6i Version N/A On Microsoft Windows XP

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Version XP Oracle Forms 6i Version N/A
N/A Version N/A

Product Version Note:
None available for this product.

Certification Note:

      Note:Certified for Client (web deployed). Received on Wed Feb 26 2003 - 00:45:46 CET

Original text of this message