Re: Oracle Forms 6i and 9i

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 25 Feb 2003 15:37:43 -0800

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3E5A4C3C.26DB97E7_at_exesolutions.com>...
> Ryan Gaffuri wrote:
>
> > DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3E59A3AF.8ECD5610_at_exesolutions.com>...

> > > For my two cents I think Oracle made a huge mistake making iDS 9i web only. Not
> > > supporting client-server does not gain Oracle a single sale and likely loses
> > > many.
> > >
> > > To me the decision was 100% marketing blunder. And for my two cents, OC4J isn't
> > > exactly as robust as it needs to be.
> > >
> > > Daniel Morgan
> >
> > I agree. There is still quite a bit of stuff that you cannot due in a
> > web application that you can do in client server. Drag and Drop takes
> > too much bandwidth in a web application, forms itself uses ALOT of
> > bandwidth over the web. You cant access the users PC. In client server
> > forms you can actually get into the registry. otn has libraries for
> > doing just this.
> >
> > btw, sorry for quoting ODTUG again, but that is where the front end
> > people tend to hang out. They feel that Oracle is pushing away from
> > forms and towards Java. According to some people Oracle has cut
> > development funds for Forms/Designer and is putting alot of money into
> > Jdeveloper.
> >
> > Just started using jdeveloper, I like it alot. Though the learning
> > curve on it is much higher than forms/ pl/sql
>
> Have you found any good books for JDeveloper beginners? Anything that might lend itself to being a
> textbook?
>
> Daniel Morgan

[Quoted] are you looking for jdeveloper beginner or java beginner? If you want to learn java, I dont recommend starting with jdeveloper its a complex tool. Best bet is to go to textpad.com and download that. Do not install it until you install the JDK or it wont work. Save any file you make with the .java extension to your jdk/bin directory and you have your editor. Gives you colors. You have a workspace too. You can compile from the Tools drop down. Best way to get started.

[Quoted] Good java beginner books? I learned C++ first from class, so I dont know. Alot of people like Deitel and Deitel, however, I think its terrible. They dont get to the point, jump around, and the pages are busy.

[Quoted] I like Thinking in Java by Bruce Eckecl(its free at bruceeckel.com) however, that assumes you know some C/C++...

[Quoted] Teaching out of? Cant help you there either. Nor can I help with XML.

[Quoted] I picked up the Dorsey Jdeveloper book and I think its excellent. Lots of examples. Lots of good excersices that are based on the HR schema in 9i. However, it does not teach you java. Just how to use the IDE. You really need to learn java first.

[Quoted] Check on the ODTUG-L listservs for jdeveloper. There is one devoted to it. You can get the list at fatcity.com If you find a good java book please create a new thread and post it. Im using about 5-6 now, plus the Sun docs since none are really complete. Received on Wed Feb 26 2003 - 00:37:43 CET

Original text of this message