Re: Oracle Forms 6i and 9i

From: Zafer <zafer_at_redshift.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:00:33 -0800

[Quoted] I have posted a question on the OTN forms forum regarding a light version of 9iAS EE for just forms/reports deployment at a reduced cost. I also asked Oracle marketing folks why they do not market forms and/or reports as separate tools as they do for JDeveloper (so that those who might want to use 9i forms and/or reports do not have to purchase the entire 9iDS package). An Oracle employee politely told me to shut up and I did so with a closing remark ;)

Interestingly enough, I saw your posting on this message board indicating that one of the JDeveloper 9i handbook authors did say that Forms is a dead product and Oracle is putting everything they have into JDeveloper.

I also realized that some companies (most of them Oracle partners) around the world (such as Artinsoft and Informatikatelier) are now offering porting services from forms to java/xml (and some of these tools are working as plugins to JDeveloper 9i).

Eventhough it is a very nice product and we want to continue to use it, after the fading away of forms/reports developer 6i, the final client/server version of the tool, we will find alternatives instead of using the 9iDS/9iAS EE (enterprise edition) combination.

It was my independent conclusion, given the existing licensing policy for 9i forms/reports and 9iAS EE, that 9i forms/reports is no longer a feasible product for small size companies and small size applications.

note: you can view my original posting on OTN forms forum and add your comments.

Best regards

Zafer AKTAN
Oracle DBA/Developer