cross-posting is ok! just how you do it and how ya read NGs was Re: Any good Oracle related message boards out there?

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:14:41 -0600

"Scott Mattes" <Scott_at_TheMattesFamily.ws> wrote in news:88O6a.15551 $jR3.7947034_at_news1.news.adelphia.net:

> He probably doesn't consider this a "solid" source, since cross
> posting occurs so often.

[Quoted] There's nothing wrong with cross-posting. The issue is with people using lame News Readers or not knowing how to drive their News Reader.

A quality to look for in a news reader is that it knows how to handle cross-posts. That is, once it reads a post in one NG, if you read another NG where that post has been cross-posted, the reader should not fetch it.

What posters shouldn't do is take the same message and post it uniquely across multiple NG's -- news readers will have problems with that.

And while I'm on my soapbox ... it's also very lame to snarf the _entire_ body of the preceding post into one's post and add one's comments. If anyone needs context, the news reader can walk up the thread to give you that context. News Servers specifically handle threading.

[Quoted] If your news reader doesn't support these two basic features, get another.

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
http://www.hpdbe.com