Re: ... on update cascade ...

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:28:20 +0300

[Quoted] Not sure it is a good idea to alter primary keys, but if you definitely need to do it, try AFTER UPDATE FOR EACH ROW trigger and DEFERRABLE foreign key constraint: defer the constraint check (SET CONSTRAINT my_fk_cons DEFERRED)
update the PK, in the trigger update the child table, commit. IIRC deferrable constraints are supported since version 8.

You may also want to read this:
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:5773459616034

Corrections and additions welcome.

--