Oracle 9i R2 standby database

From: Roger Jackson <rjackson1_at_hotkey.net.au>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 22:16:44 +1100

Hi,

[Quoted] Our site is looking at possibly using Data Guard with Oracle 9i R2. I was wondering if you could answer some questions before we make any further decisions.

I'd like to concentrate on the two flavours of Data Guard available in 9.2: [Quoted] redo log apply and sql apply:

  • What (if any) performance implications are there between the two options? [Quoted] (on both the source and target servers).
  • Is SQL apply the only method which allows read access to the target database?
  • Is there anyone out there using sql-apply with large (2TB) OLTP databases? [Quoted]
  • How does the failover process work (for both models), and how would we fail back to the original source server?
  • Does either option support RMAN backups of the target database?
  • In the event of a media recovery of the source database, how do we resyncronise the target (for both models)?
  • Has anybody come across problems using DataGurard on AIX 5L (5.1)?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,

Roger Received on Mon Feb 24 2003 - 12:16:44 CET

Original text of this message