Migration from sqlserver to oracle 8i: character set conversion problems

From: Irmen de Jong <irmen_at_-NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:17:50 +0100

Hello
[Quoted] we're trying to migrate a SQLserver 2000 database to Oracle 8i. The SQLserver database has some columns with unicode text in them, such as the euro character (€).

The Migration Workbench transforms these characters in wrong characters in the oracle columns (? and ¿).

The column type in the SQL server database is NVARCHAR, the column type in the Oracle database is VARCHAR2.

[Quoted] How can we make the Migration Workbench use Unicode to transfer the texts?

The sql migration scripts that can be generated from the Migration workbench use sqlserver's bcp.exe to dump the source tables. It looks like bcp is called WITHOUT the '-w' option, and it creates faulty data files (wrong characters). When using the '-w' option by hand, it outputs unicode data files (with correct characters). How can we enable this switch in the Migration Workbench?

Thanks!

Irmen de Jong
Everest b.v. Received on Tue Feb 18 2003 - 15:17:50 CET

Original text of this message